Depression


Psalm37:23-24 

The LORD makes firm the steps of the one who delights in him; 24 though he may stumble, he will not fall, for the LORD upholds him with his hand.


1 Peter 4:12-13

12 Dear friends, do not be surprised at the fiery ordeal that has come on you to test you, as though something strange were happening to you. 



13 But rejoice inasmuch as you participate in the sufferings of Christ, so that you may be overjoyed when his glory is revealed.

John 16:33

33 “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”

Psalm 42:11 

11 Why, my soul, are you downcast? Why so disturbed within me? Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise him, my Savior and my God.



Depression is this horrible thing...it's a horrible thing that you're okay with. It is something that feels so helpless and so hopeless you've got nothing but to let it consume you. 


Staying in bed really does seem better than a trip to valley fair or going to your favorite concert. It really does seem like the best option. 


You don't want help. You don't want to fix it. You are just numb. And numb can be so much better than pain. 


If you are like me, you probably didn't even know that's what it was. I had no idea that I was depressed because it was just my normal. I was told I was fine or that I just needed more sleep or I was sick of something in my life, like school or a 'friend' who was not really being a friend. 

Are you depressed? Are you struggling with it? Are you just okay with it at this point? What do we do about it? What does God think?

I am going to tell you right now that God didn't create us to be depressed people. He didn't create us to just be fine. He didn't create us to be numb.

He created us to be joyful. He created us to be His beloved. He created us to be passionate and excited and reverent.

And we are going to talk about it tonight. We need to talk about it tonight. We need to talk about it. We need to come together and say "me too." Because that's what the church is, right?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Emotions

Sex--It's Complicated.